In August 2006 a tragic fire broke out at Route 999 entertainment complex on Pattaya 3 road in North Pattaya. The fire killed at least seven people and injured at least 49 patrons.
Police said most of the people killed and injured at Route 999 entertainment complex were Thai customers and staff who were caught off guard when the fire started about 8.15pm, shortly after the venue opened for business.
The blaze is reported to have started from the DJ room inside the discotheque section of the complex. It started when the in house repair man, whilst using an oxy acetylene torch to repair a faulty air con unit located in the ceiling space, recieved an electric shock and fell down to the floor. This left the lighted welding torch flaming away in the ceiling cavity thus causing the fire to start. Police reported that when the fire started many customers were already inside the complex and the staff were attending a routine briefing.
Bodies of the victims were sent to Bang Lamung hospital. Relief volunteers transported the injured to other hospitals. The Route 999 complex covered an area of about 1,000 square metres and included a pub, a go-go bar and a discotheque.Condolences to all those who were affected by this tragedy.